Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rivalry Reaps Rave Reviews!

So my short ghost story "Rivalry" has been out for a couple of weeks now, and it is getting some very solid reviews over at Amazon.  I'll copy over a few of them here for your perusal:

Aman S. Anand writes:
In the first paragraph of this gripping read, the narrator and author make clear their literary influences as our protagonist reveals the authors whose ghost stories he has enjoyed. It is a clever way to open a ghost story, but it is the influence of Spielberg that haunts the majority of the text. I couldn't help being reminded of one of Spielberg's doe-eyed teenage protagonists of the eighties - and that is no bad thing.

The story's greatest strength is its pacing. On completing the story, I enjoyed it so much I went back and re-read it and the careful structure of the story became apparent. I do not wish to give away too much, but the author never resorts to cheap tricks or deliberately shocking moments. Every paragraph is carefully measured and furthers this suspenseful story.

If you like ghost stories this book is highly recommended. 

Ben Goshko says:
"Rivalry - A Ghost Story" was an excellent read. It's extremely well written and flows naturally. I particularly appreciated how the author was able to build up so much suspense in a short story. Amazing technique.

The characters were strong as well, for the precious few pages they had to develop. Very realistic too. It's hard for me to comment on any of the content without giving away spoilers, so I'll just say that ghosts are NOT cool. Not anymore, anyway.

I highly recommend this short story to anyone. 

 And Ian McRay states:
The front page draws you into the story....you just know that something strange is going to happen inside that house! A good 20-30 minute short story at only .99 is also a great value. Can't wait for more from this author!! I.M.

There are a few more reviews posted, all of them quite positive.  I was a little nervous at first putting out a purely fictional writing piece (as opposed to the Hatchet Force Journal), but the responses I've gotten have been nothing but glowing.  Many thanks to all of you for your support!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to say I told you so...but I told you so! Congratulations!

TF Rofkahr said...

You could have gotten at least *one* more "R" in that title. ;)

Congrats!