I received a lot of great feedback about the first issue, and I'm hoping to incorporate much of it into the release of issue #2. I don't think I'll be able to accommodate everyone's wishes, but I'll do my best to make #2 a lot better than the first issue, which even I'll admit was a bit of a hot mess (although hey, people are still buying and borrowing it).
First off, submission guidelines!
- Length: Between 1,000 and 1,500 words. If you color outside the lines a little bit that's fine, but I'm trying to cut down on the size of the articles - that was one of the main complaints I received about the first issue.
- Topic: Issue #2 has a theme! "21st Century Combat". This can be combat operations, counter-terror, law enforcement, mercenaries, what have you. But we're focusing on the 21st century, post 9/11 world view.
- Keep it Politically Neutral. If you want to talk about private security company operations in Iraq that's fine, but if you want to turn it into an article about the privatization of the American military, I won't accept it.
- Pictures encouraged. Since it'll be released on the Kindle, pick something that'll look half-decent in black and white. I may have to play around with it in Photoshop to make it pop a little, but otherwise I won't alter anything other than file size etc.
- Fiction and Non-Fiction Reviews/Articles Welcome. HFJ is about action and adventure stories in all forms; television, film, books, video games, real-world reference articles, excerpts - all is fair game as long as it's on-topic.