Monday, June 18, 2012

KILLER INSTINCTS is Going to the Printers!

This past weekend I've been working with Amazon's CreateSpace to build the print copy of my new book. I have to say that even sticking strictly to CS's free services and doing the formatting myself, I'm extremely pleased with the results. Their digital proofing tools are very easy to use and let you take a "virtual tour" through your book before you even receive a PDF proof or order yourself a print proof.

Despite the "digital revolution" that's come to readers in the last few years, there are still a lot of people who just prefer to have a paper copy of a book in their hands. While sharing review copies of my novel to people, I've had several ask for PDF copies, so they could print it out and read it in hard copy, either because they don't have an e-reader or because they simply prefer it that way.

Also, when you begin giving copies of your book to friends and relatives, handing them a tangible paper copy, printed and bound just like any novel they might find in a bookstore, that has more intrinsic meaning than just e-mailing a Kindle file to someone.

Anyhow, I'm still tweaking the cover image a little bit, but once it's where I want it, I'll be ordering my proof copy and I'll provide a review of CreateSpace's print services.

2 comments:

Civil War Horror (Sean McLachlan) said...

You're right about paper books. With all the talk about ebooks it's sometimes easy to forget that print sales are also up, and still bigger than ebook sales.
I made a print edition of my Civil War novel and it's selling at about the same rate as the electronic edition.

Jack Badelaire said...

The print just came in this afternoon. It looks REALLY good. This isn't just some garage-printed hack job, it is a really nice, professional looking product. If I were just walking by a shelf in a bookstore and saw the book sitting there, I'd never think twice about it being a print-on-demand.